The candidates running for President of Inclusivity and Diversity and their manifestos are:
Progressive policy. Proactive engagement. Proven track record. -@hollylburton
Vote Holly Burton #1 for Progressive & Proactive Policy!
MENTAL HEALTH & SUBSTANCE MISUSE
- Increase support for post-COVID/lockdown issues, e.g. prolonged isolation, job losses, & bereavement
- Help those struggling with substance/alcohol misuse by working to reduce stigma & strengthening partnerships with external services e.g. Renew
- Follow examples of other SUs by providing home drug testing kits
- Make it easier for students with learning differences to access required support – I live with ADD so I know it can be hard!
SAFER STREETS – UNI & BEYOND
- Equip staff & students to help those who may be vulnerable or victims of harassment, especially when aggravated by gender or race, by encouraging bystander intervention training
- Join partners citywide to create a network of safe spaces & routes
- Continue emphasis on consent & respect
THE POWER OF LISTENING
- Increase consultation to ensure all student groups are represented
- Ensure complaint procedures are transparent, accessible & effective
- Promote events that encourage all students to listen & become better allies
A BIT ABOUT ME
As a Hull City Councillor, I’ve led the push for a robust & proactive anti-discrimination policy, fought for a £395K disability access fund & now serve on the Diversity & Inclusivity Advisory Panel. I have also recently launched a nighttime safety campaign.
While the support offered throughout my university journey has been amazing, I believe we can do better still!
Here I go again! Why you should take (another) chance on E.V.I.E.#1! EVIEKYTE4IDPresident!
WHAT I’VE DONE:
-Consent training will be available for all students!
-Improved process of reporting sexual assault!
-Black, Asian and Minority Ethnicity and LGBT+ students’ mental health campaign!
-Celebrated first disability history month as HUSU!
I’VE STARTED AND WILL CONTINUE TO LOBBY TO :
-Make blended learning as inclusive and accessible as possible
-Work to break down barriers, and meet the needs of black students to help close the awarding gap
-Support for students struggling to access technology
-Increase visibility and engagement of the Students’ Union, its services and volunteers
-Hold the University to account on the impact of covid on students’ experiences
-Continue to campaign to meet the mental health needs of LGBT+ and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnicity students
-Continue to campaign for mandatory closed captions and transcripts
-Continue to campaign against sexual assault and support survivors through #ThisEndsNow
-Improve reporting of harassment, discrimination and hate crime through #NeverOk
I’ve loved representing you this year (even through a pandemic!) and would love to carry on campaigning for you.